Studies have suggested that in over a number of infertile couples, one-third of them suffer from male infertility. Male infertility is because of low sperm count or abnormal sperm function. This is because the fluid ejaculated during an orgasm consists of sperms lower in number than the normal rate. In medical terms, this condition is known as oligospermia. While a complete absence of sperm is termed as azoospermia. The low sperm count has become a matter of concern these days. It has emerged to be one of the biggest health issues.
Cause of Decline in Sperm Count
It is a condition resulting in inflammation of the veins. This inflammation in veins depletes testicle in a man. When this happens, it is natural to result in a decrease in sperm count.
Several bacterial infections lead to obstruction in sperm production. These infections exist in the form of epididymis, orchitis, gonorrhea etc.
During orgasm, retrograde ejaculation might arise when semen does not come out of the tip of the penis, instead gets inside the bladder.
Sometimes the testicles are unsuccessful in descending from the abdomen into the sac. This results in low sperm count.
Imbalance in hormones
Glands involved in the production of hormones necessary for sperm generation are hypothalamus, pituitary, and testicles. Any kind of imbalance in these hormones leads to poor sperm generation.
Some of the individuals are born with defective chromosomes in their body. Instead of one X and one Y chromosome, the body of these persons is composed of two X chromosomes and one Y chromosome. This leads to a defective reproductive pattern in an individual.
Many medications relating to steroid use, cancer, ulcer etc. decrease the production of sperm in individuals.
Exposure to various harmful chemicals like benzene, toluene, organic solvents etc. leads to the poor generation of sperms.
Individuals with exposure to radiation and X-rays are witnessed to have low sperm generation.
Unhealthy food habits-
Apart from these various reasons, one of the most significant reason is the unhealthy food pattern of an individual. This unhealthy food pattern means increased consumption of junk foods, fast foods, processed foods, alcohol, drugs, tobacco etc. The disappearing of healthy food in the diet chart of an individual has reduced his ability to generate more sperms.
These were some of the reasons for this defect or disorder. Let us now discuss the various foods responsible for this damage.
Foods That Hurt Male Fertility and Leads To Decreased Sperm Count-
There are a number of such foods, the most important among them being:
- Processed Meats-Studies and researches have proved that the consumption of processed meats is a hindrance in the production of sperm. This is because they give shelter to more hormonal residues in comparison to any other kinds of meat.
- Full-fat dairy– For healthy sperm production, products like cheese, full cream milk etc. needs to be avoided. Full-fat dairy products like cheese, full cream milk etc. needs to be avoided in order to ensure healthy production of sperms.
- High mercury fish– High mercury fish are known to damage omega 3 in the body. This, in turn, leads to poor fertility in men.
- Non-organic produce- Non-organic produce contain a slight amount of pesticide in them. This slight content of pesticide may create hormonal imbalances in the body.
- Alcohol– Excessive intake of alcohol leads to total- body oxidative stress. This stress is the root cause of low sperm generation.
- Sugar-sweetened drinks- Sugar-sweetened drinks like soda indirectly leads to oxidative stress. Once this situation arises, male infertility is bound to happen.
Foods That Enhance Male Fertility and Increase Sperm Count-
- Oysters- Oysters are rich in zinc. Therefore, they are bound to increase male fertility.
- Tomato- Tomatoes contain antioxidant named lycopene responsible for improving sperm motility.
- Dark chocolates– Dark chocolates are endowed with such amino acids which in extreme cases, may double the sperm count in men.
- Pumpkin seeds- These are rich in antioxidants, amino acids, and phytosterols. All these are attributed to increased male fertility.
- Garlic- Garlic has two important constituents- allicin (this is known to enhance the rate of blood flow in sexual organs); selenium (this is known to strengthen sperm motility).
- Lentils- Lentils contain a good percentage of folic acid, which is a vital component of male fertility.
- Banana– Banana is a food well known to increase libido in men. When this happens, naturally, sperm production will attain new heights.
- Berries- All types of berries have an inherent character that increases sperm quality in men.
- Broccoli- Broccoli provides the individual with Vitamin A, much needed for male fertility.
- Asparagus- Asparagus is rich in Vitamin C and Vitamin C acts as a defense system for the sperms. It protects sperm.
- Pomegranates– Pomegranates are rich in antioxidants. Not only this, they enhance the testosterone level and increase the quality of sperm.
- Walnuts– Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which facilitate more sperm production.
- Carrots- Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which helps in maintaining a healthy sperm count.
Thus, this was all about sperm decrease, how it is a growing concern, foods to be taken and foods to be avoided