Brown Rice vs. White Rice: Which Is Better for Healthy Life?
On a regular basis, we make choices. From choosing between tea and coffee in the morning to life decisions, we are made up of choices. When it comes to nutrition and food habits, we need to make the right choices. Rice is an important part of our diet. As a matter of fact, 90 percent of calories in the world is constituted by rice, alone.
However, before we make a choice between brown rice and white rice, we need to understand their difference. To begin with, the constituent of rice is mostly carbs, with a minimal amount of protein and nil amount of fat. Now, the difference is – on one hand, brown rice consists of the whole gain, including the fibrous bran, the nutritious germ, and the carb-rich endosperm; on the other hand, white rice is devoid of the germ, endosperm, and bran, which altogether gives it a polished color and makes it less nutritious than brown rice.
The Benefits of Brown Rice over White Rice
To be blatant and honest, Brown Rice has many benefits over White Rice. Some of them are as follows:
- Brown Rice is More Nutritious: Brown rice contains 105% more of fiber, 43% more of protein and most strikingly, 425% of Omega 3 fat. In addition, as mentioned above, the nutritious germ that is in the Brown Rice has phytochemicals, antioxidants, and is a source of vitamin B. The endosperm, exclusively present in Brown Rice is a source of carbs, protein, and a small amount of vitamin B and mineral.
- More Vitamin and Minerals: Brown rice contains 1.2% more vitamin K. It also contains 0.2 mg Thiamin per cup and 0.3 mg of Vitamin B6. Hence, brown rice is better in this context as it contains more vitamins and minerals in addition to the fact, that it also has more nutrition than white rice.
- Glycemic Index: We must keep in mind that the glycemic index of 56-69 is ideal. A greater glycemic index than 69 is harmful to health. Brown Rice has a lower Glycemic Index, though the difference isn’t too great. The GI of Brown Rice is 60 while that of white rice is 89. However, for safety measures, Brown Rice is preferred, here.
- Helps to maintain Blood Sugar: Magnesium and fiber are both huge constituents of Brown Rice. Both of these helps in maintaining the sugar level in the blood.
It is a well-researched fact that regular consumption of Brown Rice helps to keep the blood sugar in control. As a consequence, it also reduces the chance of type 2 diabetes.
It has been found out that the risk of diabetes of type 2 lowered by 31% in women who consumed Brown Rice regularly. However, in contradiction to Brown Rice, high consumption of White Rice has caused an increase in the blood sugar and hence increased the risk of diabetes. A reason for this might be the high Glycemic Index, that is, a high amount of Glycemic acid.
- Antioxidant Levels: The bran that is exclusively present in Brown Rice has more of antioxidant. Consumption of antioxidants containing food can cause the reduction of the chance of chronic diseases like diabetes 2, heart diseases and even cancer. It also helps to reduce the antioxidant levels even in obese women. Hence, brown rice is more useful as far as antioxidant levels are concerned.
- Controlling Weight: Brown Rice comes in handy when the factor of weight comes into play. Brown Rice, in fact, is consumed instead of White Rice for slimming down. Brown rice not only helps in the reduction of weight, but also decreases the body mass index, or the BMI, and also helps in reducing the circumference that is covered by the hips and waist.
However, one should keep in mind that Brown rice contains more Arsenic compared to White Rice, Excess of Arsenic consumption is poisonous for health. This is a risk factor for people who consume more rice on a daily basis. In addition, Brown rice also contains antinutrient phytic acid. Thus, moderate consumption is advised.
Thus, we come to the conclusion that though Brown rice is richer in Arsenic and phytic acid, this can be kept in check if a moderate amount of rice is consumed. Hence, overall it is better to consume Brown Rice and choose it over White Rice because of a plethora of reasons. Consult with Delhi’s best dietitians to understand your customized diet plan and weight loss ways as per your choice of cultural background.