Every part of the human body has of hair except palm and sole. In those parts where it is prominently visible, any loss or gain affects the entire appearance.
Hair fall is a very widely known problem which is encountered by almost every person at some age or the other. Let us discuss it in detail.
WHAT IS HAIR FALL?
Hair fall, or medically termed as Alopecia is the disease involving thinning of hair on the scalp. It involves excessive loss of hair in both forms temporary or permanent. Though only scalp hair is lost, the damage is caused to the whole body.
CAUSES OF HAIR FALL
The various reasons because of which hair fall occurs is given below
- Hereditary– This is the most common reason for hair fall. This hereditary reason or family history is known as male-pattern baldness in males and female-pattern baldness in females. It is observed as a gradual phenomenon in which bald spots appear with age.
- Change in hormones Several changes in hormones due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, thyroid problems may cause severe hair loss.
- Medical issues– Medical issues involving alopecia areata might result in hair loss and infections.
- Medicines– Some of the medicines given for diseases like arthritis, depression, heart problems, etc. cause a negative impact on the body which results in hair fall.
- Scalp infections Scalp infections like ringworm lead to hair loss in several patches.
- radiations Most of the individuals who have been exposed to radiations end up having severe hair loss.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) – This syndrome has the effect of causing severe hormonal imbalances that can eventually lead to hair fall.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B– The deficiency of Vitamin B is a contributing factor in thinning of hair.
- Excessive Vitamin A– Too much of Vitamin A is detrimental to the health of hair which leads to hair fall.
- Excessive stress– Situations of excessive stress resulting from any physical or emotional shock can weaken your hair and lead to hair fall.
- Anemia The deficiency of iron results in thinning of hair.
- Lack of protein The insufficiency of protein in the diet may compel the body to meet the protein requirement by stopping hair growth.
- Poor diet This is the most important reason for hair fall. Lack of proper nutrition and diet in the body might result in hair fall.
- Hair treatments– Many people opt for hair treatments like straightening, smoothing, etc. These artificial treatments lead to natural hair loss.
- Sudden weight loss The problem of sudden weight loss leads to a decline in blood sugar level. This sudden decline in blood sugar level is responsible for hair loss.
HOW IS HAIR FALL RELATED TO UNHEALTHY DIET?
Well, hair fall is directly related to a healthy diet. The consumption of unhealthy diet is the root cause of hair loss in the body. Let us understand how.
Hair consists of second fastest-growing cells in the body. At a time, there is a multitude of hair growing in the body. This growth of the hair has to be nourished with proper nutrition. It can only be met through a proper diet. Any deficiency or expressiveness on our part might result in severe hair fall. Since hair does not form any vital organ of the body, it is futile to expect that its growth will be a matter of priority. So, any irregularity in nutrition will be witnessed in the form of hair fall.
As aforementioned in the causes of hair fall the reasons as to how vitamin A, vitamin B, protein, iron, etc. are responsible for hair fall. So, a proper balance of these can only be made through a well-balanced diet containing a proper amount of all these nutrients.
A DIET FOR HAIR FALL
Foods to eat
- Dairy products
- Green peas
- Sweet potato
- Sweet peppers
It is always to be remembered that foods loaded up with Vitamin C, Vitamin B, protein, silica, copper, zinc, sulfur, iron, etc. should be taken for avoiding hair fall.
Foods to avoid
- Fish with Mercury
- Caffeinated drinks
- Fried and processed foods
- Foods rich in Vitamin A
A healthy diet and lifestyle changes are the key to a healthy body and gradually healthy skin and lustrous locks. Vegetables and fruits provide the essential nutrient for hair growth and strengthening them from inside.