Thyroid is butterfly shaped gland located in front of the neck region or at the Adam’s apple. Thyroid gland secrets hormones which regulate metabolism and protein synthesis in the body. When thyroid gland is over active the condition is known as Hyperthyroidism and an underactive thyroid causes Hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of Thyroid Disorders
- Unexpected change is weight
- A swelling in neck due to lack of iodine in body leads to enlargement of the thyroid gland
- Changes in heart rate as people with hypothyroidism have a slow heart rate.
- Low energy levels, fatigue, mood swings, feeling of lethargy and depression
- Hair loss
- Feeling too cold or too hot
- Dry skin and brittle nails
- Numbness or tingling in the hands
- Abnormal menstrual periods
Functions of thyroid gland
The primary function of the thyroid gland or thyroid is the production of the iodine-containing thyroid hormones, triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) and the peptide hormone calcitonin. T3 is so named because it contains three atoms of iodine per molecule and T4 contains four atoms of iodine per molecule. The thyroid hormones have a wide range of effects on the human body. The thyroid’s hormones regulate vital body functions, including:
- Breathing: Thyroid hormones regulate the breathing functions in the body.
- Heart rate: the hormones increase the rate and strength of the heartbeat.
- Central and peripheral nervous systems
- Body weight: It helps in maintaining basal metabolic rate. Due to an underactive thyroid metabolism becomes slow.
- Muscle strength
- Menstrual cycles
- Body temperature: Thyroid hormones regulate body’s temperature. Malfunction of thyroid gland makes the patient feel cold or warm.
- Cholesterol levels: Thyroid hormones play important role in fat and protein digestion. Due to hypothyroidism patient is not able to digest food properly and faces digestion issues such as bloating, indigestion and constipation
- Thyroid helps in growth and development of the body
- It stimulates the synthesis of protein and carbohydrates.
In a nutshell, we can say that thyroid hormones regulate mostly functions of our body and it is essential to maintain our thyroid gland in good shape to maintain good health.
Our Thyroid Weight management program
We are a unique team of three Medical Institutions – Expert Dieticians, Specialist Doctors and Professional Naturopaths who provide a 360 degree approach in improving your Lifestyle Habits naturally to help you achieve your Health goals.
Eating less or eating just salads is not a guarantee of good health. Our Diet plans are powerful enough to overcome the nutritional deficiencies and help our system fight against the health issue. There is this common misconception in our society that if you have hypothyroidism you can’t lose weight. People also believe that it is genetic however truth is far different. Studies have shown that with proper diet and workout routine weight can be managed due to thyroid. With proper fitness and lifestyle changes thyroid functions can be normalized. With our expert diet plan and structured exercise regime, we help you achieve your fitness goals.
We often here that due to thyroid people don’t feel hungry and they eat very less but still the weight loss becomes the herculean task. It is because hypothyroidism slows down the metabolism and body tends to retain a lot of water. Hence, the Diets we plan mainly focus on stimulating the metabolism and loss of excessive water weight from the body.
We do not recommend any artificial supplements/ fat burning pills. We do not recommend rigorous workout regime or extreme fad or crash diets. Our plans are based on real food. We believe in natural ingredients and simple herbs and spices available in the kitchen.
Healthy habits and lifestyle shift in the key in the transformation of the body. 90% of the diet fails because people lack motivation but we assign you a personal nutritionist to keep you motivated and sail you through this journey smoothly.