DIET THERAPY TO WIN OVER MIGRAINE
Migraines are characterized by severe headache along with the presence of other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, numbness, difficulty in speaking, sensitivity to light and sound, etc. Generally, a person suffering from migraine experiences its attacks in various forms- it ranges from few minutes to few hours in many. The symptoms and severity of the diseases vary from person to person.
It becomes all the more important to adopt an effective diet plan in order to recover or control the symptoms of migraine. Let us now discuss the various food habits to be adopted in order to tackle the disease.
Feverfew is a kind of herb which is very helpful in the prevention of migraine.
- Fatty Fish- Fatty fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. The presence of a high amount of fatty acids helps in the prevention of migraine.
- Shrimp- The presence of astaxanthin, an antioxidant in shrimp makes it all the more important. Not only the antioxidant property of shrimp, but the anti-inflammatory property is also attributed to its high demand. Besides this, it is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids.
- Carrots– Carrot contains a large amount of beta carotene and other nutrients. The presence of these nutrients gives it anti-inflammatory properties.
- Sweet potato- Sweet potato contains a high amount of Vitamin C, copper, manganese, pantothenic acid, potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, and phosphorus. All these nutrients make the consumption of sweet potato all the more important.
- Collard greens- These have a high content of magnesium in them which gives it anti-inflammatory properties. These properties mark its importance in winning over a migraine.
- Ginger- Ginger is rich in compounds that contain anti-inflammatory properties. This unique quality of ginger makes it all the more important for migraine attacks control.
- Kale- Kale is rich in magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, fiber which renders it all the more important for handling migraine.
- Quinoa- Quinoa is one category of food which contains a balanced amount of carbohydrate and protein. This balance in nutrients is very healthy for a migraine patient.
- Water- One essential ingredient during a migraine is to keep the body hydrated. Dehydration is not good for the health and well-being of those suffering from migraine. So, a minimum of eight glasses of water should be consumed daily.
FOODS TO AVOID-
Let us now discuss the various foods which should be avoided so as to prevent migraine and its attacks.
- Caffeine-related products– Coffee, tea; cola and energy drinks, etc., these all contain a high percentage of caffeine in them. Caffeine is known to trigger migraine in a few people. So, its consumption should be avoided.
- Chocolate– Chocolates are known to contain amino acids and tyramine which are one of the most important food triggers. So, it is better to avoid them as much as possible.
- Bacon- Bacon and other processed meats contain a huge amount of nitrates, which can actually enhance the intensity of migraine headache. Sometimes, this may even become unbearable.
- Apple- Apple contains such nutrients which can actually trigger the attacks. So, it is better to avoid them.
- Cheese– cheese is a substance rich in compounds like So, in order to avoid its harmful effects on the body, it should be avoided.
Apart from these, other substances which should actually be avoided are bananas, beans, corn, citrus fruits, cultured dairy products, nuts, onion, tomatoes, sour cream, bread, papaya, avocado, pizza, etc.
In order to tackle the side effects of migraine, it is better to stick to the above-mentioned diet plan. Besides this, one should also do proper exercise and take enough sleep. One thing is to remember that you cannot solely rely on the diet plan, other things have also to be given due weightage.