Thyroid Hormonal Imbalance has some symptoms and effects. However, one needs to identify it and henceforth take appropriate actions on it.
Now, the question is can thyroid Malfunction increase weight during menopause?
What is Menopause?
Every woman undergoes menstruation every approximate 28 days. Menstruation occurs due to the shedding of blood, mucosal tissues from the inner lining of walls of the uterus when the egg produced by ovaries are not fertilized. At a certain age, when the oocytes of the ovaries deplete, menstruation ceases. This phenomenon is called Menopause.
What is Thyroid malfunction?
Thyroidal Hormonal Imbalance is the imbalance in the hormones produced by the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland situated at the base of the neck is the endocrine gland that produces hormones. These hormones are triiodothyronine (T3), and Thyroxine (T4), which are released into the bloodstream.
Thyroid imbalances are caused mostly by the underproduction or overproduction of T3. Women are mostly affected by Thyroidal Hormonal Imbalance. Production of thyroid hormone in excess causes hyperthyroidism and in scanty causes hypothyroidism.
Symptoms of Menopause
The starting of menopause or the end of menstruation is marked by a number of symptoms.
Low production of estrogen
The production of estrogen reduces during menopause. This can result in effects like being flushed, night sweats, which are generally termed as vasomotor imbalances.
Mood swings and depression
The low production of estrogen also causes depression, mood swings, and feelings of loneliness and so on.
Also, read thyroid review on my client.
Insomnia or the lack of sleep can be a consequence of menopause.
It may also cause vaginal dryness, pain during intercourse and loss of sex urge.
A loss in concentration: A woman can lose her concentration while suffering from menopause.
Symptoms of Thyroidal Hormone Imbalance:
Thyroidal hormone imbalance has some symptoms that help one recognize the disease. These are as follows
- Excessive loss or gain or weight
- When the thyroidal hormones are in imbalance, an individual either gain weight too rapidly or lose weight in a flow.
- Mood swings and depression
- People suffering from Thyroidal Hormonal Imbalance tend to undergo frequent mood swings and depression.
- Also, read thyroid is reversible
- Sexual and menstrual issues
- In women, periods might occur irregularly and sex drive might decrease to a great extent.
- Less concentration: Concentration is lost among people who are suffering from Thyroid Hormone Imbalance.
Difference between Menopause and Thyroidal Hormone Imbalance and how to spot them
Though the symptoms of Menopause and Thyroidal Hormone Imbalance are similar, yet there are subtle differences in both of them. We need to identify the differences between them.
Menopause causes hot flashes and night sweats
However, Hypothyroidism increases the sensitivity to cold. This is a remarkable difference. The feelings and the receptions are to be distinguished properly and hence both of them can be identified.
- Menopause causes disturbed sleep while hypothyroidism causes slowing of the rate of the heart.
- Menopause causes problems in learning and focusing on any topic, however, thyroidal hormone imbalance causes poor memory.
- Menopause causes changes in energy. There is a change in the feeling of fatigue, too. However, hypothyroidism causes continuous fatigue and a constant feeling of tiredness.
- Menopause causes an abrupt increase in weight. However, hypothyroidism causes an increase in fat.
- Menopause causes vaginal dryness while hypothyroidism causes general weakness in joints and muscles.
Also, read remedies of menopause.
Diet for Menopause
Consumption of Calcium
It is advisable to consume enough calcium in the diet. This is because the loss of estrogen can cause the bones to become a brittle causing bone loss.
Drinking Enough Water
One must intake enough water in order to cure vaginal dryness and the dryness of the skin. This way, the moisture of the skin is regained.
During Menopause, the iron content in the blood falls down and hence, one must eat iron-rich cereals, beef, grains, and other iron supplements.
Vegetables and fruits
Fruits and vegetables can increase metabolism by helping in the reduction of weight gain. After menopause, women tend to gain weight. Low-calorie vegetables and fruits in the diet help one to lose weight and thereby increasing metabolism.
One must avoid the intake of alcohol, spicy food, sugar, and caffeine as they can trigger urinary incontinence, bone loss, and mood swings.
Diet for Thyroid Hormonal Imbalance
Intake of Iodine
The deficiency of iodine causes hypothyroidism. A proper intake of iodine can reduce the risk of thyroid hormonal imbalance. 150 grams of iodine must be present in the diet.
Vitamin B-12 plays an important role in maintaining thyroid hormone balance. Hence foods like beef, clams, and tuna should be consumed.
Selenium is crucial for maintaining thyroid balance. Foods like seafood, poultry, eggs must be included in the diet. Shellfish, nuts are rich in both Zinc and Selenium, which must be consumed as zinc is also important for maintaining thyroid balance.
It is important to get a diet plan customized for yourself by your best dietitian/nutritionist in Delhi as general knowledge is good but not a specific issue solver. To talk to our dietitian fill the form @ register.dieticianforhealth.com