IBS Symptoms and Solutions
IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome, in spite of not being fatal, has been a widespread and phenomenal disease. It has affected 30 to 40 million Americans and Indians. Occurring between the late teen to even the age of 40, the Irritable Bowel Syndrome causes harm in the regular flow of lifestyle hence affecting the physiological as well as a psychological health effect among its sufferers.
In addition to discomfort in the belly, it also causes pain and irregular bowel habits like diarrhea or constipation.
Symptoms of IBS
- Alternative phases of Diarrhea and Constipation (not getting rid of bodily waste): Diarrhea or Constipation or both can occur alternatively. For different people, one might take more preference than the other. It is important to know that this effects the regular life cycle of the patient and hence is disturbing nevertheless.
- Cramps in the lower belly: It is important to note that the cramps in the lower belly are less after bowel is passed and reaches the optimum level after meals.
- Bloating: There is the presence of gas in the belly which causes immense discomfort or bloating.
- Stool quality: Looser stools or stools of harder quality or the presence of flat ribbon-like tools.
- Rectal Bleeding: One might also have rectal bleeding due to constipation.
- Allergies: Allergies in food or lactose intolerance. In lactose intolerance, it is difficult to intake certain dairy products.
- A loss in weight: Due to the irregular lifestyle, bowel movement, continuous discomfort, there might be a loss of weight.
8.Recurrent Vomiting: Vomiting that causes repeatedly or recurrent vomiting that doesn’t stop.
- Inconsistency in stool: An inconsistent and irregular passing of stool.
- Mucus in stool: There is the presence of Mucus in the stool, which also helps in the diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome Solutions
The solutions for IBS provides the methodologies by which a patient can live a normal lifestyle with minimal pain.
- Using supplements of fiber: Supplements of fiber include the use of psyllium that helps in the reduction of constipation by helping in the normal flow of bowel movement.
- Use of laxatives: Use of laxatives like Magnesium Hydroxide Oral might also be recommended in cases when fiber supplements aren’t completely effective.
- Anticholinergic medicines: The pain of bowel movement is excruciating. In order to relieve that Anticholinergic medicines are used. For example, dicyclomine (Bentyl) can be of great help.
- Anti-diarrheal medicines: To prevent diarrhea, anti-diarrheal medicines such as loperamide (Imodium), bile acid binder, such as colesevelam (Welchol), cholestyramine (Prevalite), colestipol (Colestid) can be used.
- Antidepressants: Antidepressants are often prescribed that relieves stress and tension which in turn normalizes the bowel movement. Some antidepressants are – imipramine (Tofranil), desipramine (Norpramin) or nortriptyline (Pamelor).
- Medications against pain: The medications against pain are also prescribed such as Pregabalin (Lyrica) or gabapentin (Neurontin). They might also be effective in the reduction of bloating.
Home Remedies: The remedies at home include the following habits –
- Never skip meals. This will help the bodily system to understand your meal intake times.
This will also help in avoiding bloating.
- Using laxatives or foods that are full of roughage, or having fiber will also help in reducing constipation.
- Regular exercises are difficult to implement. However, regular exercise will help you to reduce stress, relieve tension, and depression, stimulate the muscle contraction of the intestine which will, in turn, improve irregular bowel movement.
- Peppermint: Though it might sound close to impossible, peppermint helps in the reduction of spasms of the intestine. Hence, it relaxes the smooth muscles of the intestine and thereby helps in treating IBS.
- Usage of Probiotics: Yogurts and dietic supplements contain probiotics that help in the treatment of IBS. Probiotics are nothing but bacterias that live inside the intestine and relieve bloating, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
- Meditation and Yoga: Yoga and meditation are a stress buster. Along with being a stress buster, meditation and yoga can also help to bring calm in the mind and hence bring one back to a normal lifestyle.
In conclusion, it suffices to say that in spite of being an erratic disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be solved if it is diagnosed and treated with care.