How to get the best out of salad?
Salads-the word itself reminds us of cucumber and tomatoes, filled with a little of onion and salt. However, this idea is slowly evolving. Nowadays, salads do not necessarily mean an after the meal. It doesn’t imply that it should be served after finishing all the other main courses. Salads nowadays are also accompanied by the main course and sometimes it is a course itself.
Salads can be both veg and nonveg. In both cases, it can be made healthy and tasty. The vegetables provide nutrition and are usually high in vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber contents. It helps to keep the system clean by even clearing the digestive tract due to rich fiber content.
Getting the best out of salad
To get the best out of the salad, you might have to add some ingredients and subtract some. To have the best benefits, a little more effort would result in manifolds of advantages. Some of the ways to get the best out of salad are mentioned.
- Addition of protein: Protein must be added to obtain beneficial values. In order to add protein, you can add tuna, chicken breasts, cheese in stripped forms, lean beef, cooked shrimp, and so on can be added. As a matter of fact, boiled eggs can also provide a lot of protein in the diet, whenever added with salad.
As a matter of fact, an egg will provide a calorie of 75 units, while the same unit of calories is provided by 1/4th of a cup of chicken meat that has been chopped. On the other hand, by adding one half of a cup of tuna, you can obtain 80 units of calories.
However, you must be careful about the amount in which these ingredients are added, as excessive of these items can cause an increase in calories. This results in obesity and obesity-related chronic disorders including cholesterol, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes and so on.
- Addition of raw vegetables: Add a lot of raw vegetables like peas, carrots, radishes. These are extremely good for the control of calories. Fresh beans, avocados, tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers are the best toppings for salads. Adding these will increase the nutritious value and reduce the number of calories too.
- Add high-quality fat: Adding fat to a diet may seem very wrong in the first place. However, it is important to serve the diet with some amount of fat. Now, choose the fat which is of high-quality. High-quality fats are the monounsaturated fats while low-quality ones are those which are polyunsaturated or filled with omega 6 fatty acid.
Hence, it is important to add high-quality fat in our diet. Black beans, crisp chickpeas, lentils, steak can serve as an excellent source of high-quality fat. Then again, keeping in mind the amount in which you consume the fat, the consumption is perfectly fine. However, please do not over-indulge.
- Sprinkles pieces of nuts: Pecans, walnuts, cashew nuts, almonds – all of these bring absolutely a new and great flavor to the salad altogether. In addition, they also provide essential amounts of fat needed by the body. Walnut provides omega 3 fatty acid and other nuts (like cashew nuts, almonds, pecans) provide monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
90 unit of calories is present in a 1/8th cup of nuts. Thus you must add nuts in a limited amount keeping the number of calories in mind.
- Begin preparing with leafy vegetables: Prepare the salad primarily with leafy vegetables. Leafy vegetables include spinach, romaine, escarole, iceberg, butter which are all varieties of lettuce. It is noteworthy indeed that the iceberg lettuce contains the least amount of nutrients among these.
Not only are these leafy vegetables good for its nutritious value, but they also have other advantages as well. The presence of Vitamin K in the leafy vegetables can prevent osteoporosis, a process which decays bones and teeth. Leafy vegetables present in salads also contain antioxidants. The antioxidants can help in reducing the aging process.
The presence of antioxidants in the body also helps in the reduction of risks of skin cancer. It also provides cellular support, benefits against inflammation, protection of the brain.
With these factors in consideration, you can definitely switch to salads and have the best of it without harming our health.