Hello, my healthy and happy readers. Do not get confused I am not asking how you are doing as I hope that after reading my blogs, you have already become healthier and happier. So today our topic is “How our environment is making us Obese? “ As you, all know obesity is a condition where excess fat is accumulated in a body to such an extent that it affects the health. So how to determine are you obese? By checking your BMI (Body Mass Index). If it’s>30 you are Obese. Obesity leads to many diseases like cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep, some types of cancer, depression est. Do you know why more people are becoming obese?
Facts of Obesity; World and India
Obesity is growing at a rapid rate in humans as well as animals. According to California Researchers, Even some people having lower BMI are gaining weight. Whatever is happening is affecting everyone, which suggests an environmental trigger. Some chemical molecules called chemical obesogens can cause obesity. They are the molecules that do not properly regulate lipid metabolism in the body and thus it lead to obesity. Some researchers have told that smoking before or after pregnancy can cause obesity in the child. Some obesogens are found in commonly used products like handbags, wallpaper, tile and vacuum cleaner dust collected from 20 houses by the University of New York. Phthalates are linked to obesity and are present in many PVC items like scented products including fresheners, laundry products, and personal care products. Bisphenol A is one of the environmental obesogens, which reduces the overall number of fat cells but make the rest of them larger. Effects of these obesogens in animals are the same as in a low- birth weight babies. Studies have concluded that obesogens increase an individual metabolism of gaining weight. In a Research, it has been found that a chemical TBT, a compound found in pesticides, can trigger fat cell creation. So now, when we know many facts related to obesity, let’s proceed to how we turn obese?
How we turn Obese?
- Household food habits/ own food choice- When you eat lots and lots of unhealthy food, then it obviously leads to obesity. Unhealthy food like fast food, not eating fruits and vegetables, having white bread instead of brown, drinking excess alcohol, eating out a lot, eating more than required, eating too much when you are depressed.
- Lack of Exercise and Physical Activity – In our busy lives, we keep on sitting on a desk in the office; rely on cars for commuting to the office rather than walking or cycling. On our holiday, also we watch TV, surf the internet or play video games. In short, we are too busy to take regular exercises. This is something, which sounds like a lecture to youngsters, please do some physical activity but if you are not active enough, you cannot use the energy obtained from eating food.
- Genetics- Some people say that it runs in my genes. My parents are also fat and so am I. Blah! It is a useless excuse. It is not impossible for anyone; all of you can become healthy if you have a will to do so. Yes, it may be that you have the same appetite as your parents but it does not make it impossible for you to lose weight.
So from now, I hope you will start eating healthy and do more physical activities to become healthy. I already mention some of the diseases that are the result of obesity now let us go into details of how obesity can affect our health.
How obesity can affect our health?
- Cardiovascular disease– Extra weight increase cholesterol and blood pressure, which causes cardiovascular diseases. However, I have good news for you if you lose weight; it lowers the risk of having cardiovascular diseases.
- Type 2 diabetes– Mostly people having type 2 diabetes are overweighed or obese. Again, I will never disappoint you, by losing weight and having a balanced diet you can cure that too.
- Cancer– Kidney cancer, breast cancer, cancer of the colon is connected to obesity.
- Gallbladder disease– Either you are overweight or underweight, it leads to gallbladder diseases so don’t think of losing so much weight to cure this, just maintain a healthy BMI.
- Breathing Problem– When you have a breathing problem, you stop breathing for brief periods, which interrupt your sleep in the whole night and cause sleepiness during the daytime. It also leads to snoring. Due to obesity, the weight of the chest walls squeeze the lungs and lead to restricted breathing.
- Psychological Effects– People who are overweight or obese are bullied by other peoples. Their families for their condition that they are lazy blame them. So please do not get disheartened if you are obese. Beauty lies in the eyes of seer and one who consider you ugly because of your weight, define how beautiful they are? Right? Everyone can become beautiful, as real beauty is inner beauty. I am not encouraging you to remain fat but I want to tell you that it is curable; you just need to be calm and patient with yourself.
Treating Obesity with a healthy diet
Having a low carb, diet can work for the short term but for the long term, it is better to limit your calorie intake. Follow these steps:-
- Instead of a general diet plan go for a customized diet plan made for you. A plan that is made according to your likes and dislikes will have a better chance of you following it well. Consult a dietician for it.
- Include a variety of food in your diet.
- There are healthy fats too so do not leave healthy fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil EST. They make your heart healthy.
- Choose to eat whole grains such as brown rice, wheat bread.
- Eat fruits and vegetables at least 5 times a day.
- Eat by seeing a food label. Don’t eat high-calorie foods.
Therefore, I hope you know everything you need to know Obesity. If you think I missed something, mention in the comment section. Stay tuned for more blogs until then stay healthy and happy.