Every part of the human body is composed of hair except palm and sole. However, in some parts of the body hairs are invisible as they are too fine in texture. In those parts where it is prominently visible, any loss or gain affects the entire appearance.
Hair fall is a very widely known problem, which is encountered by almost every person at some age or the other. Let us discuss it in detail
What is Hair Fall?
Hair fall, or medically termed as Alopecia is the disease involving thinning of hair on the scalp. It involves excessive loss of hair in both forms- temporary or permanent. Although only scalp hair is lost, the damage is caused to the whole body.
Causes of Hair Fall
The various reasons because of which hair fall occurs is given below-
- Hereditary– This is the most common reason for hair fall. This hereditary reason or family history is known as male-pattern baldness in males and female-pattern baldness in females. It is observed as a gradual phenomenon in which bald spots appear with age.
- Change in hormones-Several changes in hormones due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause, thyroid problems may cause severe hair loss.
- Medical issues– Medical issues involving alopecia areata might result in hair loss and infections.
- Medicines- Some of the medicines given for diseases like arthritis, depression, heart problems etc. cause a negative impact on the body which results in hair fall.
- Scalp infections- Scalp infections like ringworm leads to hair loss in several patches.
- Radiations- Most of the individuals who have been exposed to radiations end up having severe hair loss.
- Poly-cystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)- This syndrome has the effect of causing severe hormonal imbalances that can eventually lead to hair fall.
- Deficiency of Vitamin B– The deficiency of Vitamin B is a contributing factor in thinning of hair.(explore why vitamin B is important for your diet?)
- Excessive Vitamin A– Too much of Vitamin A is detrimental to the health of hair, which leads to hair fall.
- Excessive stress– Situations of excessive stress resulting from any physical or emotional shock can weaken your hair and lead to hair fall.
- Anemia- The deficiency of iron results in thinning of hair.
- Lack of Protein- The insufficiency of protein in the diet may compel the body to meet the protein requirement by stopping hair growth (check how hair loss and protein are linked?).
- Poor diet- This is the most important reason for hair fall. Lack of proper nutrition and diet in the body might result in hair fall.
- Hair treatments– Many people opt for hair treatments like straightening, smoothening etc. These artificial treatments lead to natural hair loss.
- Sudden weight loss- The problem of sudden weight loss leads to a decline in blood sugar level. This sudden decline in blood sugar level is responsible for hair loss.
How Hair Fall is related to Unhealthy Diet?
Well, hair fall is directly related to a healthy diet. The consumption of unhealthy diet is the root cause of hair loss in the body. Let us understand how.
Hair consists of second fastest growing cells in the body. At a time, there is a multitude of hair growing in the body. This growth of hair has to be nourished with proper nutrition. It can only be met through a proper diet. Any deficiency or excessiveness on our part might result in severe hair fall. Since hair does not form any vital organ of the body, it is futile to expect that its growth will be a matter of priority. So, any irregularity in nutrition will be witnessed in the form of hair fall.
As aforementioned in the causes of hair fall the reasons as to how vitamin A, vitamin B, protein, iron etc. are responsible for hair fall (see more on vitamin diet and the best source). So, a proper balance of these can only be made through a well-balanced diet containing a proper amount of all these nutrients.
Proper Diet to Avoid Hair Fall;
Foods to eat-
- Dairy products
- Green peas
- Sweet potato
- Sweet peppers
It is always to be remembered that foods loaded up with Vitamin C, Vitamin B, protein, silica, copper, zinc, Sulphur, iron etc. should be taken for avoiding hair fall. See the best iron sources to cover deficiency.
Foods to avoid-
- Fish with Mercury
- Caffeinated drinks
- Fried and processed foods
- Foods rich in Vitamin A
Other Home Remedies for Hair Growth
Instead of opting for expensive hair treatments, few home remedies can be adopted for avoiding hair fall. Besides being effective, these remedies are very cheap and affordable. Let us see a few of them.
- Onion juice- A few slices of onion is to be taken. Juice should be squeezed out. Then it should be applied on the scalp for 10-15 minutes approximately. Finally, wash your hair with a shampoo.
- Coconut Milk– Coconut milk is rich in iron, potassium and essential fats are very good for hair growth. A mixture of coconut oil, lemon drops and lavender oil is to be made and applied on the scalp for a duration of 4-5 hours. Then hair is to be washed with a mild shampoo.
- Egg Mask– A blend of egg white, olive oil, and honey is to be prepared to be applied on the scalp for around 20 minutes. Hair is then to be washed with a shampoo.
- Green tea- Applying green tea over the scalp for around an hour helps in hair growth. After that, hair is to be rinsed with cold water.
- Amla– A mixture of amla powder or juice and lime juice added in equal amounts is very helpful. After the hair is dried, it needs to be washed with warm water.
- Aloe Vera- Applying pure aloe Vera gel on the scalp a few times helps in preventing hair loss.
- Beetroot juice– Beetroot juice when added with henna leaves and applied for 10-15 minutes is very effective. Hair is then to be rinsed with warm water.
These were some of the most effective home remedies.
Well, the solution to hair fall lies in how effectively you use those alternatives.