Supplements and Salts, how good are they for your health?
Salts form an integral part of our body. The proper balance of salts maintains homeostasis in the body. Salt in the body is essential as it contains sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and important minerals like chlorine too.
On one hand, sodium enhances the transmission of nerve impulses throughout the body and on the other hand, potassium, calcium, magnesium regulate the movement of electric discharges throughout the body. Sodium also enhances and controls the muscle contraction of the body.
Why are salt supplements required?
Salt supplements are required in the body when the body cannot produce enough components of salts by itself. That is, there is a lack of sodium, potassium, calcium, chlorine and so on. To overcome this problem which is the cause of many diseases such as Dysautonomia, salt pills or salt supplements are used.
Some of the salt supplements and their effect on our body can be listed and examined as follows.
- Phosphate Salts: Phosphate Salts are present in dairy products, nuts, grains, meats, cereals and so on. Phosphate salts are easy to absorb by the body, specifically those found in dairy products and meat, than those of cereals or grains.
Phosphate salts are also used in medicines. However, when used with organophosphates, they become dangerous and can be even fatal. Phosphate salts are important for our health as they affect the absorption power of the body and also maintain the phosphate levels.
Effect of Phosphate Salts in our body
- Phosphate salts are effective in the bowel movement in the body. The phosphate present in the body helps to prepare the bowel for a medical procedure. It also helps in curing constipation.
- Indigestion can be cured by aluminium phosphate and calcium phosphate, too. Hence, phosphate also helps in digestion.
- Patients having high urine level of calcium can be benefited by the phosphate salts. As a matter of fact, intake of potassium phosphate can prevent kidney stones, which is indeed wonderful.
- However, if you have heart disease, cirrhosis, heart failure, tendency to develop oedema you must avoid the intake of sodium containing potassium salts.
- Phosphate salts can also cure tiredness, diarrhoea, digestive tract issues.
Iodised salt or iodine salt is a mixture of natural salt with various other elements, specifically iodine. Iodised salts are useful for preventing mental, intellectual disabilities. Iodine salts or iodised salts are hence beneficial.
How are iodised salts helpful?
- Iodised salts are very helpful as it helps in the brain development, even in the case of instants.
- Iodine salt also helps in the development of thyroid hormone. As a matter of fact, the lack of iodised salts causes hypothyroidism.
Iodine supplements are used worldwide to prevent diseases caused due to the deficiency of iodine in the diet.
However, it must be kept in mind, that by the overuse or over-consumption of iodised salts many health issues may also occur. This includes the risk of Thyrotoxicosis, the risk of Iodine-induced Goitre and so on. Iodine excess can also lead to Thyroid Cancer.
Sodium Supplements and Sodium Salts
Sodium salts are one of the most essential salts in our body. Sodium salts have several functions to perform when it comes to their effect in the human body.
- First and most importantly, sodium helps in the transportation and absorption of minerals in the body. The sodium-potassium level also maintains the inner permeability of the body.
- Sodium salts are also important for maintaining blood pressure in the body.
- Sodium salts are also used to maintain the salt water ratio in the body.
The deficiency of sodium in the body calls for many diseases. Hence Sodium supplements are essential for the body. The effect of sodium supplements is as follows.
- It cures Hyponatremia, a disease that is marked by the lack of sodium or salts inside the body fluids.
- It can cure heart disease, lack of sodium and water balance due to vomiting or diarrhoea.
- It helps the nerves and muscles to work properly and also helps in controlling the blood pressure.
- Intake of sodium supplements also prevents low sodium level in the blood hence preventing the swelling of cells due to sodium.
- However, it is important to keep in mind; taking sodium supplements in the form of tablets can make you feel thirsty for long periods.
On the conclusion, it is appropriate to say, that salt supplements are indeed beneficial in curing diseases and maintaining homeostasis if taken in the right amount. Hence, consulting a professional dietician is advisable.